Essential Healing Hand & Body Salve
If the eyes are the windows to the soul, the hands are the true gage of youth. And there’s nothing worse than feeling like the elements are chipping away at your vitality.
While studying at The Herbal Academy, I learned the benefits of herbs to alleviate dry skin through the creation of a healing salve and this Essential Healing Salve has been tested in the mountains of the PNW, on location down the coast of California, and aboard planes everywhere in-between (the paperboard containers make it easy to distribute without wasting product or worrying about cross-contamination).
Use it on your feet, lips, elbows, knees, or anywhere that needs some TLC.
ESSENTIAL HEALING HAND & BODY SALVE
- 1 tbsp. Lavender Buds
- 1 tbsp. dried Calendula Petals
- 1 tbsp. Chamomile (optional)
- 20 drops of Palma Rosa Oil (you can substitute Lavender Oil and adjust scent to your liking)
- 18 drops of Gotu Kola
- 2 oz. Coconut Oil
- 3 oz. Grape Seed Oil
- 2 oz. Shea Butter
2 oz. raw beeswax or beeswax pellets (white or yellow)
For the best quality herbs and oils, I recommend MountainRoseHerbs.com
- Glass Measuring Cup
- Fine Mesh Strainer
- Paperboard Containers or an Aluminum Cosmetic Tin
- Heat coconut, grapeseed and shea butter in a small pan over simmering water.
- Add the dried calendula, lavender ,and chamomile. Let it soak overnight. Place a cloth over top.
- Strain herbs with cheese cloth. Warm again if it’s too thick to strain.
- Place the infused oil back into the pan over simmering water and add the beeswax.
- Let cool slightly, then add palma rosa oil (or lavender oil) and gotu kola.
- Pour into cardboard or tin containers. Let the salve cool completely before using.
- Will keeps for several months. Use as often as needed.
Heidi Nymark is a Professional Snowboarder turned Hair & Makeup Artist represented by Art Department. Her editorial work has appeared in Elle, Vanity Fair, Milk, Bambino, Highlights, and Noise. Follow her on Instagram @heidinymark.